The “Carnival of Aces” is a blogging carnival where each month people are invited to write on a specific topic that is related to asexuality/the ace spectrum in some way.
(Also, vloggers are invited to speak on the topic in videos, artists/poets invited to be inspired by the topic, etc — whatever format you wish to participate with, please, use that format.)
February 2018’s was the second time we’ve had a theme on “Mental Health” and this time the theme received 7 submissions – it was hosted by Sophia over at hurricane sophia. The previous time that same topic (mental health) was covered as a Carnival of Aces theme was by Elizabeth over at Prismatic Entanglements in June 2015. That time spawned many responses. It was an extremely successful month for the carnival.
For this current month, March 2018, this is the fifth time that I am hosting the carnival. Before, I hosted select months in 2014, 2015, and 2017. This time, since we’ve done mental health twice but never physical health, I decided to make the topic Physical Health and/or Our Bodies.
The topic is meant to be broad.
It may have plenty of overlap with the time all the way back in 2013 the Carnival of Aces was themed around Disability.
It may also have overlap with plenty of the things people ended up writing about when the theme was gender or about being nonbinary.
It probably has overlap with plenty of other topics the Carnival has been themed around in the past, the one on Touch, that one time about Kink, heck even my own theme of Sex-Aversion and Sex-Repulsion…
So maybe me listing all that is already giving you ideas for what you could now write. You may have not been able to submit for one of those old carnivals, but you can submit something now that ties into the current theme!
The point is literally anything having to do with physical health or our physical bodies and how it intersects with asexuality.
A bunch of ideas on what people might write about:
- Hormone-related stuff, like hypothyroidism, HRT (Hormone replacement therapy) as an option for trans folks, and more in this regard
- Masturbation or Sex-Drive/Libido, including if you wish to write about a non-existent Sex-Drive
- Kink, quite possibly non-sexual kink, of the varieties that have to do with your body
- Your relationship to sexual actions with other people
- Your relationship to “sensual” actions with other people, and I’m using that word in the ace way to mean things that are non-sexual but still physically intimate
- Gynecologist related thoughts
- Or thoughts related to asexuality & your primary care physician
- Body-image could probably be a big part of this theme
- Drugs like Viagra or even Addyi (Flibanserin) could be discussed, or other drugs that feel relevant
- Physical Trauma-related topics
- Any physical disability you want to write about including chronic illness and how this intersects or doesn’t with asexuality
- etc! If I didn’t list something and you’re not sure if it’s close enough to the topic, go for it! We want the only tangentially related stuff too, truly. We want the stuff I didn’t think of. More posts is always good!
- For more ideas, check out The Asexual, a literary journal, the issue that was released on “Asexuality and Body” as a theme: http://theasexual.com/journal/#vol-1-issue-3
Let me know in the comments (or by email, etc) if you have any questions or concerns.
To submit your entry, either leave a comment below or send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org . The deadline is the end of the day Saturday, March 31st! If you would like to post anonymously, I can copy and paste text from an email into a Guest post on this blog of mine, just let me know that this is your wish. You can also contact me via my tumblr, which is luvtheheaven.tumblr.com – links don’t send in “Asks” though, so I’ll never get your post if you try to send a link that way. I do receive submissions and messages but in my opinion, email is easier, and comments here are easiest.